One of the most common questions couples trying to conceive is whether the position they have sex in can affect their chances of getting pregnant. (file)
There are certain positions that can make it easier for sperm to reach their intended destination more quickly and effectively.
Sex may be pervasive in our popular culture, but conversations about it are still associated with stigma and shame in Indian households. As a result, most individuals dealing with sexual health issues or trying to find information about sex often resort to unverified online sources or follow the unscientific advice of their friends.
To address the widespread misinformation about sex, News18.com is running a weekly sex column titled ‘Let’s Talk Sex’. Through this column, we hope to start a conversation about sex and address sexual health issues with scientific insight and nuance.
In this article, we will discuss various sexual positions and how they can help you get pregnant.
Trying to conceive can be extremely stressful, especially if nothing seems to be working. But the truth is that there are many things you can do to improve your chances of getting pregnant, and one of them is to try different sexual positions. It may be hard to believe that a simple change in position can make all the difference, but it can! There are certain positions that can make it easier for sperm to reach their intended destination more quickly and effectively.
Overview of the Conception Process
To understand the best positions to get pregnant, let’s go over some basics of the conception process.
Fertilization begins when the sperm enters the uterus and meets with the egg. The number of healthy sperm is important here, if there are too few healthy sperm, it can be difficult for them to reach and fertilize the egg. The position you’re in when you conceive can affect the amount of sperm available and their ability to make it through to an egg.
The best positions to conceive also include gravity positions, where penetration is deeper, which can help bring more sperm closer to the cervix for a greater chance of fertilization. Remember that everyone is different, so there are no hard and fast rules about what position works best for you or your partner; You may just need to do some experimenting!
Best position to increase chances of conception
One of the most common questions couples trying to conceive is whether the position they have sex in can affect their chances of getting pregnant. The short answer is: Yes, the position can help you conceive.
Here are some key positions that can help you maximize your chances of conceiving.
- missionary position: Studies have shown that the missionary position works best for conception because it deposits the sperm closer to the cervix. Plus, this position is more pleasurable for both partners, so it can be a great way to increase your chances of getting pregnant while having fun.
- Doggy Style: The doggy style position is another popular favorite that helps with conception; This helps deposit the sperm directly onto the cervix and ensures deeper penetration – meaning less distance between the sperm and the egg. This position is also great for couples who want to spice up their sex life while still trying to conceive.
- Side spooning: For those who don’t like the doggy style and want something more romantic, spooning can be a great option. This position can help encourage deeper penetration and puts less pressure on your partner than other positions – giving you a chance to relax and enjoy yourself without compromising conception. Whichever position you choose, make sure you are comfortable and enjoying yourself. as much as possible! After all, sex should be fun and with these positions, you don’t have to sacrifice pleasure while maximizing your chances of getting pregnant!
What Should You Avoid While Trying to Conceive?
If you’re trying to conceive, there are certain positions that can be beneficial, and there are other positions that you want to avoid. Here’s a quick run-down of what not to do while trying to conceive:
- permanent situation: Standing positions are less likely to lead to successful conception, as gravity prevents sperm from traveling to the cervix. Hence, avoid the standing position while trying to conceive.
- Use of Lubricant: Lubricants can reduce sperm motility, so if possible avoid using them when trying to conceive.
- Changing position very quickly: It is common for couples who are actively trying to conceive to try several different sexual positions in hopes of increasing their chances; However, switching from one position to another too quickly can actually reduce your chances of being successful. Give the semen a few minutes to properly start its journey towards your cervix before changing things up.
Recommended Exercises While Trying to Get Pregnant
Learning recommended exercises is beneficial when you’re trying to get pregnant. Here are some of the best exercises to improve your chances of getting pregnant.
- Gravity-Assisted Position: Gravity-assisted positions where the male partner is behind or above the female partner can help increase the chances of conception because they allow gravity to pull sperm toward your cervix. Examples include missionary and doggy-style.
- timing is everything: Timing is of the essence when it comes to boosting your fertility. The prime time to have intercourse is when your cervix is dilated and paler, usually right after ovulation occurs. This signals that the egg is ready for fertilization, so aim for these times when choosing a sexual position.
- Use pillows for support: If you find some asanas uncomfortable or difficult to maintain, don’t worry! Just use a pillow for extra support and comfort during sex. This can help you stay in the correct position for longer and reduce stress at the same time.
Overall, the best position for getting pregnant is one that both the couple is comfortable in, so experiment with different positions to find the one that works for you. Don’t forget to relax, be comfortable, and enjoy the moment.
Fertility is not something to be taken lightly, but getting pregnant doesn’t require a lot of effort or stress. With the right knowledge and the right position, you can increase your chances of conception and make the experience a positive one for both of you.
Professor (Dr) Saransh Jain is a winner of the Swasth Bharat Ratna Award and is a certified and licensed sexologist by the American Board of Sexology. He is currently Senior Consultant at Dr SK Jain’s Burlington Clinic in Lucknow. The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not represent the stand of this publication.
read all Latest Lifestyle News Here