T20 WC: If it comes down to crunches you want a man like Ben Stokes – Paul Collingwood

England will be banking heavily on all-rounder Ben Stokes to unfold their ‘A’ game in the Crunch Super 12 game against New Zealand here on Tuesday, and his assistant coach Paul Collingwood expressed confidence that a match-defining innings will be played by the Test captain. was around the corner.

While Stokes has been in excellent form in the longest format of the game, his form in the shortest format of the game has been iffy, the 31-year-old has also retired from ODIs. Has scored two runs so far against Stokes Afghanistan And a six in the shocking defeat to Ireland in the ICC T20 World Cup here.

T20 World Cup 2022: full coverage , Schedule , Result , Mark sheet , Gallery

While T20 performances throughout his career have not been as steady as his Test performances, Collingwood still believes Stokes is the player for big opportunities.

“I think when there is pressure you want one person in your team which is Ben Stokes. We all know what he is capable of, and not just match-winning innings, but match-winning innings under serious pressure,” Collingwood said.

Read also | ‘Could have made the difference’: Bhuvneshwar Kumar on missed opportunities against South Africa

“I know very well that if it comes to trouble you want to take out a guy like Ben Stokes. Not just what he gives with the bat, the options with the ball and the skill level he brings to the field. You have to remember, he is an all-rounder, so he is not always just scoring runs but everything he gives.

“But I’m pretty sure an innings is very close, and now we’re getting into the crucial part of the World Cup, and it’s almost a knockout stage for us. It’s a must-win game. You can always find Ben in those situations. Let’s see what comes out,” Collingwood said.

get the latest cricket news, Schedule And cricket live score Here