T20 World Cup: If India dismiss Babar Azam early, Pakistan’s batting order may fall like a deck of cards: Monty Panesar | Cricket News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: Former England spinner Monty Panesar feels India medium pacer Shardul Thakur, who has recently emerged as a handy all-rounder, will be the captain. Virat KohliTrump card in ICC t20 world cup.
Panesar feels that some opposition teams might consider Thakur a ‘bits and pieces’ cricketer but all-rounder Shardul has all the weapons to turn the game on its head.
India made a change in them ICC T20 World Cup 2021 The squad while submitting their final list including Shardul and ousting Axar Patel.
TimesofIndia.com caught up with Panesar, who played 50 Tests, 26 ODIs and one T20I in his career between 2006 and 2013, to talk about India’s title chances, the mouth-watering India vs. Pakistan Struggle, Virat’s pursuit of his first senior ICC title, MS Dhoni mentor and much more.
How would you rate India’s chances in the T20 World Cup this time around?
India is going to be a strong contender. They will enter the tournament as a strong contender for the title. I think they will definitely make it to the finals. Virat’s goal is to win the ICC title as captain. And he will not let this opportunity pass easily. This will be his last tournament as T20I captain and he looks hungry for an ICC title.

(Will don the new jersey during the T20 World Cup in India) United Arab Emirates (Photo courtesy BCCI Twitter)
MS Dhoni has been appointed as the mentor of the Indian team for the T20 World Cup. How big an impact will it have?
It is Virat’s decision to include Dhoni as a mentor. He must have said…Look this is my last World Cup as T20I captain, last time I was leading the team, I have played under Dhoni and learned from him. He wanted a good memory. He wants to finish on a high, so he brought in Dhoni as a mentor. He wanted Dhoni by his side while chasing his first ICC trophy. And also, Dhoni is not charging anything, which is great to see. He is the legend of the game. Virat wants his presence and I am sure these two players Dhoni and Virat together will do wonders for Team India in the World Cup.
An ICC senior trophy is missing from Virat’s cabinet. Can the man with Midas touch – MS Dhoni – help Virat break that madness?
Yes so much. Dhoni knows how to win tournaments. He will be the guiding force for Virat from the dressing room. Virat and Dhoni together have won many matches for India and they know each other very well. Actually, Dhoni has a lot of respect in Virat’s mind. Dhoni knows how to win big matches and Virat would like to pick those tactics and pick Dhoni’s mind. He would like to lead in the World Cup and big tournaments like Dhoni. Together they will make plans and win the game.

(BCCI has appointed Dhoni as the mentor of Team India – Photo Credit BCCI Twitter)
What do you have to say about the last team of Team India?
I thought Harshal Patel, the highest wicket-taker in IPL, would make it, but he didn’t. This is because India have got their bowling department covered anyway. India has gone into the team with experience. Ashwin, Jadeja, Rohit are the players who can convert points for India and they have huge experience. Chahal and Shikhar didn’t make it – it was amazing. But India covered all their basics right and they are looking great. Virat and Dhoni went with their experience.
This time India will start its T20 World Cup campaign with a clash against Pakistan. India have a 5-0 record against Pakistan in this tournament, can they make it 6-0?
Pakistan is really good on the UAE track. They have a good bowling lineup with Shaheen Afridi. They have a solid batting line-up Babar Azmi in favor of. They have all the basics covered. You cannot predict Pakistan. Only Pakistan can defeat Pakistan. On his day he can beat any team in the world. Pakistan is really motivated this time and will not spare any team. But considering their overall record against Pakistan, India will have the upper hand. Pakistan will be under pressure, not India.
Key players who can turn the tables for both India and Pakistan…
For me it will be Ashwin. He’s got so much unpredictability. and Ravindra Jadeja. He is a game changer with both ball and bat. He had a great tournament with Chennai Super Kings. These two are going to be major campaigners as Ashwin can do wonders in the powerplays and in the death overs as well. He has done so well. If Jadeja and Ashwin perform well then India will win the T20 World Cup. Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi for Pakistan. Shaheen is a brilliant left-arm fast bowler and he will be eyeing more and more Indian wickets. I am sure Virat and KL Rahul have enough practice against the left arm fast bowlers. If India bowlers get Babar Azam out early, they can destroy Pakistan like a deck of cards.

England won the last 50 over World Cup. Do you think they could add another silverware to their cabinet?
England will not have Ben Stokes in the World Cup. This is a big loss for them. Players like Moeen Ali need to perform in the IPL. He needs to pick up that form in the World T20. He needs to do well. If he doesn’t do well then England will have a bad time in the tournament. Moeen will be a key player for England. I would also choose Adil Rashid. Rashid is a wicket-taker in critical situations. He also needs to click for England. Spin is going to play a big role in the UAE and these two players will be key players for captain Eoin Morgan.
Who according to you can be Virat’s trump card in this tournament and why?
Virat’s trump card will be Shardul Thakur. He is the kind of player who brings surprises with both bat and ball. In the tournament, Virat will be eyeing Shardul. And I am 100% confident that the trump card will win the World Cup for Shardul Virat. So they have included him in the team because he is a match winner. The opposition considers him a “bits and pieces” cricketer. He is another Manoj Prabhakar for India. But I will compare Shardul with Ben Stokes. He is a match winner and has surprised many players in the tournament.
There are no quarter finals. After Super 12, only 4 teams go to the knockouts. How difficult is this format going to be for the teams?
It’s going to be very difficult. There are a lot of surprises that can come up. But India looks stronger than England, Australia and New Zealand. These four teams can make it to the semi-finals.

(File image of Hardik Pandya and MS Dhoni – TOI Photo)
Will Hardik Pandya not bowl affect India’s chances?
If Hardik Pandya is in the Indian team then he needs to bat and bowl. He can’t just go in the middle and can only bat. If he is not bowling then Virat should include Shardul Thakur in the team (Playing XI). India is looking for a true all-rounder and that is why India’s eyes are on Hardik Pandya. Hardik needs to find a way to keep himself fit and keep things in the right direction. If he needs to stay in the team, he needs to bat and bowl and he needs to be fit properly.
Rohit Sharma is the most likely person to take over the reins of T20I captaincy from Virat Kohli. Do you think anyone else should be considered?
Rishabh Pant should become India’s T20I captain. He has done really well for IPL and Delhi Capitals. The maturity he has shown, the way he has handled pressure cooker situations is amazing. He’s so cool and he’s just brilliant. He learned this art from MS Dhoni. Dhoni has played a big role in making Rishabh Pant a perfect wicketkeeper and captaincy material. Rohit is 34 years old and I am sure he is ready to captain. But if India is looking to the future, Rishabh Pant is the best man. Rishabh Pant should be the future captain for India.
Whenever MS Dhoni retires from IPL, who according to you should become the next captain of CSK?
Moeen Ali is the best person as a captain after Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Dhoni). He will be a good captain. The way he performed in the IPL was brilliant. He has done really well in both the batsman and bowler roles. Moeen Ali will be a great captain for Chennai Super Kings.

Leave a Reply