T20 World Cup | Kohli slams ‘spineless people’ for abusing Shami, calls it pathetic

Shami, who suffered India’s 10-wicket loss, was trolled on Instagram for his Muslim identity

India captain Virat Kohli on Saturday hit back at “spineless trolls” who attacked Mohammed Shami’s religion after the team lost to Pakistan in their first T20 World Cup game and said targeting people for their faith “The most pathetic thing”.

Shami, who suffered India’s 10-wicket loss, was trolled on Instagram for his Muslim identity.

“Attacking one’s religion is the most pathetic thing a human can do. Everyone has the right to express their opinion and what they feel about certain situations. But I never thought to discriminate [against] Anyone on their religion,” Kohli said on the eve of India’s crucial match against New Zealand.

“that [religion] There is a very sacred and personal thing for every human being and it should be left there.” Kohli said that Shami’s trolls do not deserve attention as they do not recognize his contribution.

“He has no understanding of the fact that a man like Mohammed Shami has won many matches for India. He has been our first bowler with Jasprit Bumrah.”

“In Test cricket you see him running to bowl, and if people can ignore him and his passion for the country, honestly, I don’t want to waste a minute paying attention to those guys, and Neither Shami or anyone else in the group.”

For Kohli, social media trolls are nothing but a bunch of “spineless” people who don’t have the guts to face real people in real life.

“There’s a good reason why we [the team] There are no bunch of spineless people playing on the field and on social media who don’t have the courage to talk to anyone in person. They go on hiding behind people through social media.

“And it has become a source of entertainment in today’s world, which is very unfortunate and sad because it is literally the lowest level at which one can work.”

Lack of compassion has become a norm, agreed the star batsman.

“He doesn’t have the courage or the backbone to do something like that. That’s why I look at things. All this drama created on the outside is purely because of people’s frustration and lack of compassion, that’s why he finds it so amusing to go after people. is,” she said.

Team morale will not be affected by ‘toxicity’

Kohli reminded the opponents that the bond between the team members is so strong that such nonsense does not infiltrate the protective shield created by them and added that such toxicity will not affect the morale of the team.

“We stand by him completely. And those who attacked him can come with more force if they want. Our brotherhood and friendship within the team cannot be shaken. I can completely guarantee that I am, as captain, we have created a culture where these things will not intrude [team] Environment too 0.0001%”

“How people react from the outside has no importance in our group and has never been noticed and we will never focus on it.

“People don’t understand what it takes to work on the field at an international level and we’re not going to tell everyone what we do and how we do it,” he said.

“We just continue with our business doing what we have to do. We learn and grow and one sport is not more important than the others,” he said.

(with inputs from PTI)

Leave a Reply